01 February 2010

My first all grain experiece - I missed the OG by 20 gravity points and had a stuck sparge


I brewed a cream ale on 1/24/2009
 I recently brewed my first all grain batch.  It was also the first time I used my barley crusher.  It was the second time I made a starter and the second time I used my mash tun.  It’s a cream ale. I crushed the grain (default gap).  I placed the grain in the mash tun, ( modified 48 qt igloo xtreme cooler).  I did a 90 min single-infusion mash at 149˚ for 90 minutes.   I sparged (sort of). I collected about 4 gallons of wort. I added water to 4.65 gallons in my 5.25 gallon kettle. I boiled for 90 minutes. I used and immersion chiller and an ice bath to get temperature to 60˚. I then poured the wort through a strainer into the fermenting bucket.  I aerated with an aquarium pump with an inline filter for 40 minutes.  I pitched all of an 800 ml starter (1056) that was about 16 hours past full krausen. That’s about as positive as I can be about this brew. 
Some issues arose.  Firstly, I had to clean all the metal filings off the barley crusher, which I hadn’t anticipated. I wasn’t quite sure how to do this and I used compressed air and ‘pre-crush’ of a few ounces of grain that I then tossed.  Then, my temperature may have been messed up in the mash. Thermometer issues (now resolved).  But I for sure added 11 quarts of 161 degree water to 8.25 pounds of 67-68 degree grain.  Then I added more water at 185˚ to mash out.  I began to drain and then my mash was stuck, (again 2 for 2 uses, first time was a faulty plug which caused grain to get lodged in the ball valve) I got like 8 oz out before that happened.  Though I might have sparged wrong.  The idea as I now understand it is slow and steady until clear and then continue, then add sparge water and let sit for 10-15 minutes and then repeat. I guess I was little too excited and forgetful of previous research on the matter.  I probably added more than warranted ‘mash out’ water, mixed the grains up and didn’t wait long enough before becoming all willy nilly on the valve.  So the sparge was stuck. I picked up the tun and poured it through a strainer into the kettle. I poured the sparge water over the grain in the strainer.  My gravity reading was 1.028. Yup, 21 points below expected.  I then maybe boiled a pound of DME and 12 more ounce of sugar and added it to the bucket after it cooled, maybe. The (visible) fermentation started after this addition ~ 48 hours in.  
 Um. So this is perhaps, maybe, sorta kinda disheartening.   But, I am going to brew again this weekend and I want to make it a better experience.  
The recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal     
Boil Size: 4.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
3.00 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        33.33 %      
2.00 lb       Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM)              Grain        22.22 %      
1.00 lb       Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        11.11 %      
1.00 lb       Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        11.11 %      
1.00 lb       Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        11.11 %      
0.25 lb       Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        2.78 %       
0.85 oz       Sterling [6.00 %]  (60 min)               Hops         15.5 IBU     
0.60 oz       Hallertauer [1.50 %]  (10 min)            Hops         1.0 IBU      
0.75 lb       Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)          Sugar        8.33 %       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [800 ml stater]                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
90 min        Mash In            Add 10.31 qt of water at 160.2 F    149.0 F      

No comments: